Three Cheese Mac & Cheese
An elevated macaroni & cheese using high quality ingredients. Pure simplicity and no oven needed!
400g Garofalo Macaroni
200g Carron Lodge Dambuster Vintage Cheddar, coarsely grated
200g Carron Lodge Buffalo Cheddar, coarsely grated
100g Carron Lodge Parmesan, finely grated
70ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
100g Rindless bacon cut into lardons
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
120ml Dry white wine
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
600ml Pouring cream
100g Crème fraîche
1 tsp Smoked paprika
80g Coarse breadcrumbs
Finely grated rind of ½ lemon, plus extra to serve
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of well-salted boiling water for 7 minutes, until not quite al dente. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp cooking water, and return both to pan.
- Mix breadcrumbs, lemon rind, 40ml of olive oil and half the Carron Lodge parmesan in a bowl and season. Add the mix to a small pan and fry until golden brown. Set aside once cooked.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add bacon strips and fry until crisp.
- Add garlic, stir until fragrant, then add wine and simmer until reduced by half
- Stir in mustard and thyme, then add mixture to pasta and stir to combine.
- Add cream, Carron Lodge Dambuster and Buffalo cheddar, crème fraîche, paprika and the remaining parmesan, season, mix well, then transfer back to the stove top and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted through.
- Scatter the breadcrumbs, any extra thyme and lemon rind over the pasta, serve hot.