Schiaffoni with Fennel Seed Infused Meat and Mixed Mushroom Ragu
This recipe has been created for Garofalo by Italian chef Aldo Zilli.
Toscana is celebrated for a rustic cuisine that showcases simple ingredients in flavorful dishes, like this recipe for garofalo Schiaffoni Pasta cooked in a wild-mushroom ragù.
400g Garofalo Schiaffoni
Diced Pork (from shoulder) 1-2cm dice 120g
Diced Beef (shin or chuck) 1-2cm dice 120g
Carrot (finely chopped) 4tbsp
Onion (finely chopped) 4tbsp
Celery (finely chopped) 4tbsp
Fennel seeds (lightly toasted and crushed) 4tsp
Red wine 600ml
Chopped tomatoes 200g
Mixed Mushrooms: oyster, shiitake, chestnut & button (lightly fried with oil, salt, pepper and garlic) 200g
Rosemary 2 sprigs
Chicken stock 1ltr
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese 4tbsp
Extra virgin olive oil 4tbsp
Chopped Parsley 4tbsp
- To make the ragu lightly fry the carrot, onion and celery in a deep sided frying pan with a splash of oil, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Once they start to caramelise, add the diced meat (seasoned well beforehand) and fry for 3-4 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Add the fennel seeds and mix in, followed by the wild mushroom (already sautéed).
- After 1 minute add the red wine to deglaze the pan, and allow to reduce by 2/3. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid or carte touché and simmer gently for 1-2 hours, until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Check the seasoning and remove the rosemary stalk and bayleaf. Boil the pasta in boiling salted water and toss into the ragu, add the chopped parsley, Season if needed. Using tongs, place the pasta on a pasta bowl and drizzle with extra virgin oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.