Sugo all’amatriciana is a traditional Italian pasta sauce based on guanciale (cured pork cheek), pecorino cheese from Amatrice, tomato, and, in some variations, onion.
Discover the flavors of Italianness at the table with Garofalo Rigatoni all’amatriciana. Try our recipe.
400g Garofalo Rigatoni
4 slices pancetta, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed chillies
2 (400g) tins peeled plum tomatoes
Small handful chopped fresh basil & parsley
20g flaked Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pancetta in a saucepan over medium high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat (dripping) from the pan.
- Add onions, and cook over medium heat about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and crushed chillies & cook 30 seconds.
- Add tinned tomatoes & simmer for 10 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with your spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Stir parsley & basil into the sauce, and then toss with cooked pasta. Serve with flaked Parmesan cheese.